Back story: this toy was originally my husband’s and now Lil’ Red has it mastered!
Just wanted to post some more pictures from Newport Aquarium that my mom took! Thanks mom for letting me get these pics from you today. We did have a fun time meeting our cousins. The two little ones in the middle are exactly the same age just hours apart! Both have Strawberry Blond hair and have little tempers to boot:)
10 Tips for Tree Climbing
1. Wear Appropriate Clothes and Shoes– make sure to consider jeans or pants and sturdy tennis shoes. Will keep the climb more fun with less likely getting scrapped or scratched.
2. Location, Location, Location– if you do not own trees that are climber friendly, then you will need to find some that are. Do not go onto private property without permission. Stay out of fenced areas marked No Trespassing. We went to our local community college since they have an abundance of trees.
3. Not too BIG, Not too small, JUST RIGHT– You will need to find a tree easy enough to get in and out of, but also sturdy enough to hold your weight on the lower limbs.
5. Beware and Use Caution– Stay away from Evergreens and poison ivy vines! Do not climb sappy trees or you will get icky, sticky goo all over you which could attract insects or bees.
6. Bring your camera or video recorder– Make sure to have someone get lots of pics of your tree climbing fun.
7. Try a variety of trees– take turns when you find a good, sturdy, easy to climb tree.
8. Refreshments– Bring snacks and drinks for on the way home. You’ll be glad that you did.
9. Remember sunscreen and/or insect repellent.
10. Be grateful for God’s great wonder the TREE!
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-33986286-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
I am a planner and goal setter by nature but usually have trouble following through. My goals are lofty and well intentioned, but often come crashing down due to lack of habit. I’ve been floundering with the whole “get up early” and get my day started for a LONG while. Not sure how it happened. Maybe it was the birth of a 3rd child and our new homeschooling endeavor. Whatever it was now is the time to redeciate the mornings to the LORD and not allow my life to slip by without meaning or purpose!
I often find myself sitting down at the PC in the mornings just getting ready to “do something” when my toddler comes running in wanting mommy. While I love holding him and snuggling he is now big enough to wiggle his toes on the keyboard or grad the mouse and make a mess of mommies work:) This tends to make me feel frustrated or irritated that I didn’t get up early enough to accomplish anything without interruption.
I need to get more sleep, better sleep. I need to get to sleep roughly the same time each night and/or take a short nap in the day if our days are long. I need to get children to bed at decent times per their circadian rhythms. (I’ve got two early-birds and 1 night owl. The night owl get lots of ideas between 8:30pm and 11pm.) I need to express to my husband how he can help with bedtime routine even when he works till 9pm, which will allow for me to wrap up my day and plan for tomorrow.
I believe making a list of what needs to be done so the important gets taken care of and not sidetracked by an “urgent” whim. I believe meal planning, Bible reading/listening and school scheduling will take our family life to the next level. One of peace. One of consistency. One of simple expectation.
Join me while I Maximize my Mornings with:
How bad is it that I cannot remember everything that we did this week? Good thing I have some pictures! We celebrated Princess’ birthday on Sunday with an AG Craft party. She had 4 friends, 2 cousins, and 2 brothers in attendance for the kids. She got some nice gifts and money. She loves getting cash to figure out what deals she can get and how much she can buy:)
The kids spent so much time out front playing with neighbor kids that our next door neighbor asked if we needed to borrow his mower:) Oops, our backyard grass and weeds grew suddenly and needed mowed. I got inside our fence mowed one day and outside the fence mowed another. I took hedge clipper and chopped some way overgrown weeds and tress to fence level. Hoping that using round-up full force (after all these storms/rain are gone) will kill them so we can dig them up by the roots! I had the revelation that if I dig some of the small trees and weeds up by the roots they cannot grow back so quickly. I set to work to create more places to plant something more beautiful in our backyard. It is still a work in progress, but I want to be able to enjoy out back yard and not dread it. After all, that is where our climbing toys, garden swing, and picnic tables are.
We met up with more cousins at Newport Aquarium and quickly I realized why we like the zoo SO MUCH better. Not just because its way cheaper, but much more kid/family friendly! It was very packed and we had to just stand in wait to get through with our umbrella strollers so we didn’t run flip-flop feet over (zoos have ample space even in busy season to roam and enjoy the views)! The kids were getting restless ’cause we were late for lunch. We chose to follow the rules and leave our cooler checked before entering and did not have any snacks! (usually at the zoo we can eat whenever and wherever we want so no whiny kids!) Both Princess and Eldest took pics and videos which they turned into collages to share with you:
We also worked on tweaking our calendar pieces a little more. (See post about replacement calendar parts.)