Somehow at the last minute a few years ago we got information about a program at a local state park for fossil hunting. The organization that was putting it together was Creation based and was even bringing in a Christian Paleontologist. I was very excited to drive the hour or so on a hot August day to learn about Fossils!
First of all who doesn’t like to collect rocks or fossil hunt? My kids really enjoyed being able to search, dig, clean, and KEEP some fossils. We were at Ceasar’s Creek State Park and the main rule is “You can only keep fossil’s smaller than your fist or palm of your hand!” Once we checked in and filled out a day pass we were good to go. Our entire group of 15 plus families drove from the main visitor station to the fossil hunt site.
We only knew one family out of the entire group so we just hunted as a family. It was quite hot but fun. Keeping Big Red from eating the fossil’s was a challenge but we still had fun and brought home a bucketful of fossils.
1. Wear sun protection- be sure to bring hats, sunglasses, and put on 50 SPF or higher.
2. Bring your own buckets to haul your fossils home.
3. Use a stroller filled with toys if you have anyone under 5 with you. Trust me you will thank me!
4. Pack snacks and plenty of water. You may need to freeze water or juice pouches to keep them extra cool.
5. Plan your hunt with friends and shoot for a COOL Fall or Spring day if possible.
6. Always follow the rules for the location your are Fossil Hunting.
7. Bring a comfortable seat. Yes, a diaper changing pad can double as a comfy seat but thick foam kneeling gardening pads are even better!
Hope you enjoyed learning some quick tips for Fossil Hunting. Did you see our super fun and budget friendly 100 activities post? Stop on over for more great Summer ideas.
Hugh Twiggs says
Great! I enjoyed your fossil hunting tips. I, too, am a fossil hunter. I lead trips to southern Tennesse and northwest Georgia.
Great to have you stop by. This was our first Fossil Hunt. We definitely need to go again this Fall on a cooler day.
Shawn Michaels says
Such an amazing post. I love fossil hunting. Thanks for sharing such an interesting tips. Will try these tips for sure. Great post!